WordPress plugins can add a LOT of different features and functions to your site, but don’t go overboard.
It’s always best to just use plugins that you need – too many will slow your site down.
It’s a good idea to backup your site before you start adding a bunch of plugins, and also to just activate one (1) plugin at a time, so that you test it with your theme.
That being said, there’s just so many cool plugins! 🙂
The list here is some of the plugins that I probably use the most. (But you don’t have to use them all)
There are other plugins that I’ve used – and do use – for certain things, but this is my core list. (always open to future edits–things change 🙂
You can click on the links to upload the plugins from WordPress.org, or you can install them in your WordPress site’s dashboard.
I will also list some other, free & premium (you have to buy them) plugins that can add a lot to your site below this list.
My List of WordPress Plugins
- All in One SEO Pack – Helps you optimize your website content – meta titles & descriptions – for the search engines
- Google XML Sitemaps – This plugin helps your sites pages and posts get found online.
- Shortcodes Ultimate – With this plugin you can easily create tabs, buttons, boxes, different sliders, responsive videos and much, much more.
- Social Media Feather – My new recommended social plugin.
- W3 Total Cache – Helps make site load times faster.
- TinyMCE Advanced – This plugin adds extra features to your WP visual editor.
- Black Studio TinyMCE – Lets you use the WP visual editor in your sidebar.
- NextCellent Gallery – (NextGEN Legacy) – This plugin lets you make really nice image galleries.
- Display Widgets – Lets you show or hide which widgets show on different pages – nice plugin.
- Wordfence Security Works right out of the box with default settings – Adds another layer of security to your site.
- Duplicator – Backup, copy, & clone your site with this plugin.
- Contact Form 7 – Lets you make a contact form so your visitors can get in touch.
- Ultimate Coming Soon Page – Your site visitors will see a “Coming Soon” page instead of your work in progress.
- EWWW Image Optimizer – Reduce file sizes for images within WordPress so that your site loads faster.
- Testimonial Basics – Great for displaying & managing testimonials on your site.
- Easy Facebook Like Box – The best FB like box plugin I’ve found.
- One-Click Child Theme – Has worked flawlessly in my limited testing–makes creating a child theme even easier.
- **Fourteen Colors – For the Twenty Fourteen theme–adds option to easily change default color scheme.